In many places where MCC works, sewing skills open doors to additional income that can help a family make ends meet. These kits are often given through MCC-supported programs that teach sewing or tailoring and provide the tools to make and mend clothing or to begin a business.
1,600 kits shipped last year to Ukraine and Zambia.
Contents (NEW items only)
- 3 spools white thread (all-purpose; cotton/poly or 100% polyester; minimum 250 yds.)
- 3 spools black thread (all-purpose; cotton/poly or 100% polyester; minimum 250 yds.)
- 1 sewing tape measure (plastic or fiberglass; 150 cm; inch markings optional)
- 1 thimble (metal; medium size)
- 1 dressmaker shears (good quality)
- 1 package needles (minimum 25; assorted sizes)
- 1 package straight pins (minimum 80; round plastic heads preferred)
- Shirt-style buttons (12; black or white; size ½–1 inch; place loose buttons in a resealable plastic bag)
- Sew-on snaps (minimum 20; assorted sizes)
- Safety pins (minimum 10; assorted sizes)
Sewing kits are distributed in a useful double drawstring cloth bag (11¾in x 16¾in). You may:
- sew the bag yourself,
- request bags from an MCC material resources center or
- donate contents that we will place in a bag.
Bring completed sewing kits to an MCC drop-off location.