Why does MCC collect personal information?
- Keep you informed about MCC, and get your opinion on our work.
- Provide you with products or services, such as updates about our programs and magazine subscriptions.
- Follow up on donations, including getting in touch if there are problems with your donation and sending your donation receipts.
- Raise funds.
- Meet legal requirements.
MCC will not send you emails without your consent.
In Canada, this follows the regulations in the new Canadian anti-spam legislation (CASL).
How does MCC collect personal information?
We collect information that you provide through online donations, online forms and surveys. This information is transferred and stored safely by MCC.
What kind of information does MCC collect?
MCC collects information such as your mailing address, email address or phone number, opinions you submitted to an MCC survey, your donation record, credit card or banking information and records of purchases. We strive to keep this information as up-to-date as possible.
How does MCC protect your information?
MCC takes a number of steps to make sure your information is kept safe:
- We will only use your information for the reasons listed above unless you give us your consent to do otherwise.
- If you request to see the personal information we have on file for you, we will provide it to you.
- We use secure physical and electronic methods to store your information, including locked vaults and password protection.
- Once your information is no longer needed we make sure to dispose of it securely.
When does MCC disclose personal information?
There are a few occasions when we need to share your information with organizations or people outside MCC. Some reasons we might do that are:
- If we are asked to by your legal representative.
- When an organization is providing a service on our behalf. This includes things such as sending mail.
- If we’re asked by the police or another public authority and there is imminent danger that could be avoided by disclosing the information.
- It is required by law.
What are your choices?
MCC would like to collect, use and occasionally disclose your personal information. However:
- You can refuse to provide your personal information or withdraw your consent at any time, except when we are legally required to keep your information.
- You can request that we remove your contact information from phone, mail or email lists.
Unless you tell us otherwise, when you share your information with MCC, MCC assumes we have your consent to collect, use and disclose your personal information following our guidelines.
How does MCC handle website security?
MCC follows industry best practices to protect your interactions and donations on our websites.
MCC uses a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) connection to ensure that your personal information is secure when making online transactions. SSL is the international standard for exchanging information securely on the internet and is supported by all browsers. Using SSL ensures that all information that you send to MCC is encrypted as it travels through the internet. In most browsers you can confirm that the website is secure by looking for and clicking on the lock icon in the website address bar.
To keep your payment details safe, MCC works with an industry leading third-party system which collects and processes your payments. All credit card information is handled in an encrypted manner and is processed according to Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance standards. Their encryption technology and state-of-the-art security technology is designed to ensure the confidentiality of transactions.
In addition, MCC’s websites and the servers that they are hosted on conform to all industry best practices for security and privacy. MCC works closely with trusted third-party partners to keep our websites and servers up to date with the latest updates and security protocols. All our online systems are monitored, allowing us to catch and address any problems. We also use industry standard protections for forms including protection from spam using reCAPTCHA.
Where can I get more information?
If you have any questions about our privacy and security policies, the information we keep about you and how we use it, or if your personal information changes please contact us.
In the U.S.:
Give a gift — where needed most
Every donation makes a difference.