The Summer Service program is a 10-week program for young adults of color in the U.S. that runs from June to August. The program encourages and strengthens leadership capabilities within young adults while nurturing a commitment to community engagement.
For young adults of color
During this 10-week program, young adults of color will serve their local church or community by filling a variety of positions. This could include working at a summer peace camp or an urban garden, serving as a pastoral intern or as a refugee and immigration educator — whatever fits with the peacebuilding vision of the local church, community or organization.
The participants will attend a five-day nationwide leadership conference at the beginning of the term, and a four-day end of term gathering. These conferences are sponsored by MCC and are considered part of the 10 week, paid service term.
Interested? Apply today
What to expect
Expectations for the partnering church or organization:
- Identify a good candidate who would value the program goals of leadership development, community engagement and Christian service.
- Prepare a project proposal for MCC.
- Appoint a supervisor (for churches, choose someone within the congregation).
- Disburse stipends to participants throughout the term.
- Submit a final report upon the project’s completion in August.
Expectations for the participant:
- Carry out the project as proposed.
- Strengthen relationships with your congregation and community.
- Participate in the leadership conference, a virtual midterm check-in, and end of term conference.
Expectations for MCC:
- Review and approve applications. (Priority is given to projects related to peace, social justice and community development.)
- Plan site visits and/or midterm check-ins with supervisors and participants.
- Hold a leadership conference in June and end of term conference in August for participants.
Frequently asked questions
Have questions? We’ve prepared an FAQ page just for you!
Interested in applying to the Summer Service program? Fill out an application!
What to know more?
Want more information about Summer Service? Fill in the information below.
Give a gift where needed most
Every donation makes a difference.