In many places where MCC works, sewing skills open the door to additional income that can help a family make ends meet. These kits are often given through MCC-supported programs that teach sewing or tailoring and provide the tools to make and mend clothing or to begin a business.
1,640 shipped last year to Haiti, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine and Serbia
Contents (NEW items only)
- 3 spools white thread
- 3 spools black thread (each spool 250 yards minimum; all-purpose; cotton/polyester or 100% polyester)
- 1 metric fabric tape measure
- 1 thimble (medium size)
- 1 dressmaker’s scissors (good quality)
- 1 pkg needles (approx 25)
- 1 pkg straight pins (approx 100)
- 12 matching, shirt-style, black or white buttons (approx size ½–1 in; place loose buttons in resealable plastic bag)
- 1 pkg sew-on snaps (approx 20–25)
- 10 assorted safety pins
Sewing kits are distributed in a useful double drawstring cloth bag (11¾in x 16¾in). You may:
- sew the bag yourself,
- request bags from an MCC material resources center or
- donate contents that we will place in a bag.
Bring completed sewing kits to an MCC drop-off location.