At MCC, we have workers in more than 50 countries around the world, this fall we asked some of them to share their favorite recipes from the country where they work, and tell us what's so special about the dish. Donna Rice, MCC worker in South Korea, decided to share Soy-Sesame Tofu.
1 lb firm tofu
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
dash of black pepper
3 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
1 tablespoon water
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Slice the tofu into ½ inch slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Let salted tofu stand a few minutes.
- Mix soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds, pepper, green onions, garlic, and water. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Heat oil over medium high heat. Fry tofu until golden brown turning once.
- Dip the fried tofu slices in the sauce and return to the skillet. Pour the rest of the sauce over the tofu.
- Cook tofu and sauce over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tofu soaks up sauce.