When you are locked up
Detention by the numbers
As of May 2017
- 6,020 Palestinian prisoners held for "security reasons"1
- 474 Palestinians in administrative detention2 in Israeli custody without charges or trial.3
- 331 Palestinian children (under age of 18) held in Israeli military detention.4
- 81% of adult Palestinian prisoners transferred from the West Bank to jails in Israel, separating families and violating international law.5
Children in jail
Two different systems
If you're Palestinian
- Soldiers will move quickly to detain you
- You will go to military court
- 99% of cases against Palestinians result in conviction10
If you're Israeli
- Soldiers may or may not detain you
- You will go to civilian court
- 8% of cases against Israeli settlers result in conviction11
No Way to Treat A Child
The No Way to Treat a Child campaign seeks to expose widespread and systematic ill-treatment of Palestinian children in the Israeli military detention system. It is a project of Defense for Children International – Palestine. MCC participates in this campaign in both Canada and the U.S.
1. B’Tselem: The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories.
2. B’Tselem: The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories.
3. B’Tselem: The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories.
4. B'Tselem: The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories.
5. Military Court Watch
6. Military Court Watch
7. No Way to Treat a Child
8. No Way to Treat a Child
9. Doctors Without Borders
11. Yesh Din Volunteers for Human Rights
A Cry for Home offers stories, videos and fact sheets from MCC on Palestine and Israel. Learn more about A Cry for Home.