MCC works in many areas of the world where wars, floods, sexual assault, famine and constant oppression cause severe emotional stress and suffering. Along with responding to physical needs for food, water and shelter, MCC addresses emotional and spiritual needs caused by trauma.
Through MCC’s trauma healing training and the expertise of our partners, people gain emotional strength, resilience, renewed energy, hope and better relationships. Trauma healing includes:
- Expressing emotions and having them validated by leaders and others who have suffered the same trauma.
- Understanding how our brains physiologically process trauma.
- Recognizing the connection between unhealed trauma and cycles of violence.
- Supporting communities that have experienced trauma as they identify traditions and customs in their own cultures that help them to become emotionally and spiritually stronger.
- Identifying and addressing unjust systems that caused or contributed to the trauma.