Interested in applying to Summer Service program? Follow the process mentioned below:
1. Church/organization submits their proposal (due March 12, 2021)
The sponsoring church or organization needs to submit their proposal online by March 12, 2021. The church/organization should already have a young adult in mind for the Summer Service project. It will be their responsibility to conduct interviews and select the participant for the proposed project. After the sponsoring church or organization submits the proposal, we will send the application link to the email address that you provide for your Summer Service participant.
Here are some examples of successful proposals.
2. Summer Service Participant completes and submits their application (due March 19)
The Summer Service participant completes and submits the application using the link that MCC shares to the email address that the church/organization provided in their proposal. The participants must submit their applications by March 19, 2021.
3. Church selection and follow-up discussion (April 2021)
The selection committee will review church/organization proposals and young adult applications. Proposals and applications will be evaluated by the potential for leadership development, community or church impact, thoroughness, clarity, proper supervision, etc. We will conduct follow-up discussions, if needed, to finalize any details of the program or answer any questions. Once the selection committee make decision, we will then notify you about either acceptance or denial of your proposal and application through email.
4. Orientations (May and June)
- Summer Service supervisor (May): All Summer Service supervisors must participate in a two-hour online supervisory orientation. Dates range from May 10th-12th depending on the region. We’ll email Zoom details a week before the orientation date and time.
- Summer Service participants (June): Summer Service workers are also required to attend an orientation scheduled for June 7-11, 2021 (6 and 12 are travel dates), in Akron, Pennsylvania. While we are cautiously hopeful that we can hold an in-person Leadership Conference in 2021, we acknowledge that our plans are open to change as the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic unfolds.
5. Summer service begins! (June to August)
Looking for more reasons to apply? Here's what former participants have to say.
Questions? Read our FAQ page for more information.