The Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale Board has been hard at work to provide a few ways for you to participate at the 2020 Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale.
Their Facebook page will be utilized quite a bit for announcements. Please like and join the Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale page to keep up to date. Please share the announcements so that people get the word of the new format for this year’s sale.
This year’s auction will be online. You will be able to bid electronically from the comfort of your home. The auction will be accessible through the Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale website. We ask that people donation items for the sale complete their donation forms ASAP so that we can have time to organize things. These forms can be picked up at a register at Gift and Thrift or at the Conference Center in a realtor sign outside their door. Return the form to the address on the form. As items will be sold online, it will be very important to take multiple good pictures to display the item.
- Please drop off all donations Thursday, Oct. 1 from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds.
- Items will be on display Thursday until 8:00 p.m., Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. - close of auction. If you are lucky enough to be the highest bidder, we ask that you pay for and pick up your item(s) Saturday afternoon.
- Oct. 2, 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.: BBQ chicken drive-thru dinner by donation at the fairgrounds (includes chicken half, potato salad, roll and a beverage). Please pre-order your meal at vareliefsale.com so that organizers know how many to prepare.
- Oct. 3, 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.: Fresh Mississippi Fish Fry drive-thru dinner by donation at the fairgrounds (includes fried fish, hushpuppies, coleslaw and a beverage). Please pre-order your meal at vareliefsale.com so that organizers know how many to prepare.
- Baked goods and potato chips will be available for purchase Thursday through Saturday at the main auction building. Donations of baked goods are welcome and needed. If you are donating baked goods, we ask that they be delivered on Thursday, October 1st between 8:00 a.m. and noon.
VIRTUAL RUN FOR RELIEF 5K
Join us virtually from anywhere in the world OR come on down to the Rockingham County Fairgrounds from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on race day (October 3rd) to get in your 5k Race for Relief! Our course will be open and marked complete with start and finish line located on the back side of the fairgrounds. There will be no official timing. Participants can report their 5k times on the RunSignup website under the results page on race day. Register here for $25 by September 22nd for a FREE T-shirt! After September 22nd, the price increases to $30 and you will not be guaranteed a T-shirt. For details about T-shirt pickup, fundraising and awards, visit vareliefsale.org.
MY COINS COUNT
A My Coins Count offering will again be accepted. These funds are split between MCC and Virginia Mennonite Missions. Churches are encouraged to have drive-by offerings at their church or find other creative ways of collecting money. Money will be accepted at the Fairgrounds on October 1-3.
We will need volunteers to set up tables at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, and to take down tables Saturday evening at the Rockingham Fairgrounds. We also could use volunteers to help serve the meals, make the Chicken BBQ, and sell baked goods. Please email email@example.com or call Dave Rush at 540-433-9993 to volunteer.
The Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale is an annual, all volunteer event that raises money for Mennonite Central Committee (MCC). The sale began in 1967 at Paul Wenger’s farm in August County. The event is currently held at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds the first weekend in October. An estimated 1,000 volunteers make the event a success for 10,000 attendees each fall.
The sale offers a little bit of everything—quilts, artwork, homemade food, antiques, crafts, music and activities for the whole family.