The focus of the MCC Great Lakes 2020 Pipeline to Prison VIRTUAL Learning Tour is to immerse participants into the complex dynamics of the U.S. criminal justice system including diverse perspectives from individuals (men, women, people of color, young adults), as well as the exposure to the systemic forces at play that have led to mass incarceration and the criminalization of marginalized groups.
This free virtual learning tour will take place each Monday in August from 2-3:30 p.m. (EST).
The learning tour will be framed by 5 key topics:
- Introduction to Mass Incarceration (August 3)
- Understanding racial disparities and the direct link with Mass Incarceration (August 10)
- Pipeline to Prison: Today’s Offender, Yesterday’s Victim: Female, Poor and Incarcerated (August 17)
- Justice for all, where we are? Incarceration in the times of COVID-19 (August 24)
- A justice that restores? Alternatives to Mass Incarceration, restorative justice and the possibility of reconciliation. (August 31)
The learning tour will narrate the connections between the broader, systemic issues of racism and incarceration at the levels of system and structures, as well as community-level perspectives from the people experiencing arrest, incarceration and re-entry. The learning tour will link advocacy/legislative work to address mass incarceration with the local community efforts to respond and address the main issue at the local level.
The framework for engaging these questions will be through the lens of Anabaptist faith, as we seek to understand where the church is present and absent and the reasons why. The purpose is to connect the participants to the reality of mass incarceration from different perspectives, but also to provide them with learning and practical opportunities toward engagement and advocacy efforts on their local context.
For more information: GreatLakes@mcc.org or 574.534.4133
There is no cost for this virtual learning tour. Registration is limited to 25 participants. The goal is for all participants to commit to attending each virtual session to get the full learning experience.