Background: On May 7, the Trump administration formalized a policy of forcibly separating immigrant children from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border. Since October, more than 700 children have been taken from their parents in this way, including more than 100 under the age of four. Delia* crossed the border with her 9-year-old son 10 months ago. Shortly after arrival, Border Patrol officers took her son away, telling her, "You may never see him again." Mirian was separated from her 18-month old son when they arrived at the border in February. A caseworker at the shelter where he was placed told Mirian he "cried all the time" and was struggling with illness. Ms. L* had her 6-year-old daughter taken and placed in a shelter for four months (*Names changed to protect identity.)
Faith reflection: In Matthew 18, Jesus said, "Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father ... So it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost."
Action: Urge the White House and your members of Congress to end family separation at the border.
Other ways to take action:
- Check out the Interfaith Toolkit to Stop Family Separation and Keep Families Together
- Engage with your members of Congress on Twitter (sample tweets below)
- .[@SENATOR/REPRESENTATIVE]: We need your leadership to protect families. Support policies that keep parents and their children together, and reject family separation as a political tactic. #ValueOurFamilies
- .[@SENATOR/REPRESENTATIVE]: Immigrant families aren't only being torn apart at the border, it is happening in neighborhoods all across the country. America should not be in the business of breaking families apart. #FamiliesBelongTogether
- .[@SENATOR/REPRESENTATIVE]: Children fleeing violence and unrest don't deserve to be ripped from their families. They have come knocking on America's door asking for a safe haven and they deserve better. #FamiliesBelongTogether
Action alert created May 16, 2018, by Tammy Alexander, Senior Legislative Associate for Domestic Affairs.
Sign up for immigration action alerts and updates from the MCC U.S. Washington Office here.